I think in shades of gray. This may be because I like to debate things and am a bit argumentative but I hope that it's more. I try to see different sides to a story. I do not like ultimatums or finite principles because there's no room for variables. I think I am a variable. I'm unique in ways others aren't and others are unique in ways I am not. To me there's rarely a place for black and white because people are too different with a million different reasons to be the way they are. Thank goodness for those differences.
I've had a lot of down time lately where all I feel like doing is laying in bed, trying to distract myself from the difficulties of pregnancy. I was feeling especially contemplative on Martin Luther King Day. I watched a show about him on the History Channel and I really hoped that if I'd been around then, I would have stood up and marched for equal rights with him. Then I realized that I wouldn't have had a chance to be around because until 1963 (for UT), my parent's marriage would have been illegal. It's hard to believe that it has only been 48 years that interracial marriage has been legal. It's because of people like Martin Luther King who stood up for others civil rights that I'm here today. Literally.
Back around to the idea of thinking in grays. There were people who only wanted to live in a black and white world. They didn't want to be open to other opinions, views, and people. Thank goodness there are others who don't want to live in a black and white world and can look past social norms in order to change. I hope I am one of those people who can see more than just a black and white world.
I've had a lot of down time lately where all I feel like doing is laying in bed, trying to distract myself from the difficulties of pregnancy. I was feeling especially contemplative on Martin Luther King Day. I watched a show about him on the History Channel and I really hoped that if I'd been around then, I would have stood up and marched for equal rights with him. Then I realized that I wouldn't have had a chance to be around because until 1963 (for UT), my parent's marriage would have been illegal. It's hard to believe that it has only been 48 years that interracial marriage has been legal. It's because of people like Martin Luther King who stood up for others civil rights that I'm here today. Literally.
Back around to the idea of thinking in grays. There were people who only wanted to live in a black and white world. They didn't want to be open to other opinions, views, and people. Thank goodness there are others who don't want to live in a black and white world and can look past social norms in order to change. I hope I am one of those people who can see more than just a black and white world.


3 comments:
Bravo Hailey, very well said, and I
agree completely! Thank goodness for down time, and difficulties with pregnacy, it makes us better women. I know the beautiful life that growns in us during pregnancy, makes us ponder our own lives and the future of our children.
Beautifully said Hailey! Thank you for your thoughts. Mr. King truly made a turning point in history many of us should be eternally grateful for. I am so glad you are here! ;)
I love your introspective thoughts here, dear. I'm so pleased you are seeing some of the magnitude the civil rights movement has had in all our lives. Love you always.
Post a Comment