I made my first turkey this year (with Nick's help)! I made a brining liquid and then brined it for about a day and a half. Then I made an herb mixture and Nick rubbed the mixture under the skin of the turkey. We roasted it in an oven bag and it turned out nice and tender and tasty! I also made stuffing from scratch which was really good. All in all I'd say it was a success. I forgot my camera so no pictures, but it looked great.
Maple Brine
2 c. Brown Sugar
1 c. maple syrup
3/4 c. coarse salt
3 whole heads garlic, cloves separated (the cloves don't need to be peeled) and bruised
6 large bay leaves
1 1/2 c. coarsely chopped fresh ginger
1 1/2 c. soy sauce
3 quarts water
Handful fresh thyme sprigs
1 12-14 lb. turkey (defrosted or fresh)
Combine all the brine ingredients in an enamel or stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil then remove from heat and let cool completely. Remove neck and giblets, rinse the turkey well, and put in the cold brine; add water if needed to cover the bird completely. Refrigerate for 2-4 days, turning the bird twice a day.
I used a 14 lb. turkey and ended up using probably 2 additional quarts of water.
Herb Butter
1/3 c. fresh herbs (I used Thyme, Rosemary, & Sage)
1 1/2 sticks of butter softened
Combine well
Mushroom Stuffing with Shallots and Fresh Herbs
Makes 10-12 servings, or enough to stuff a bird up to 20 lbs.
1 lg. loaf hearty bread (I used a half loaf of wheat and a half loaf of white), cut into 3/4 inch cubes (about 12 cups total)
2 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbl unsalted butter
1 lb. mushrooms chopped into 1/4 inch pieces (I used white, mini portabello, & cremini mushrooms)
4 lg. shallots chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
1/3 c. chopped fresh parsley
1/3 c. chopped mixed fresh herbs such as sage, thyme, marjoram and oregano (I used sage, thyme, & rosemary)
1 1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
3 c. low sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock
Spread bread cubes on two large baking sheets; let sit on the counter overnight, or bake in a 300°F oven until just dried, about 15 minutes. Place in a large bowl.
In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until very tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in shallots and celery and cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in parsley, herbs, salt and pepper; remove from heat and spoon mixture over bread. Stir in broth and let sit a few minutes for it to be absorbed.
If using to stuff a turkey, cool completely and follow stuffing directions for your recipe. If baking separately, heat oven to 350°F. Spoon stuffing into a large buttered baking dish. Smooth the top and bake until browned and crisp, about 50 minutes.
I cooked the turkey at 350 for 2 1/2 hrs. till the thickest part of the bird measured 165 degrees. I believe the cook time was less then usual because I used an oven bag. I added a few cut up carrots, an onion, and a few cut up celery to the bag as well. Don't try to put the turkey in the bag by just holding the bag and dropping the turkey in! This resulted in a torn bag and some lost stuffing. Good thing the bags come 2 to a box. I also didn't baste the turkey as it cooked because it was in the bag. I also think using a few different types of mushrooms worked well. It smelled delicious. I be the mushroom base would also make a delicious soup.
We made stock with the turkey after it had been carved. I think because I'd used the vegetables in the oven bag and the herb butter rub that the stock will turn out well too.
There you go! Happy Thanksgiving!
2 comments:
Oh my that sounds so delicious!!
Maple brine...WOW!
I am proud of you and Nick, you are adventurous newlyweds. We just always waited to be invited to Thanksgiving, so we didn't learn to cook a turkey for years.
Next year will be Thanksgiving with a little boy...what fun it will be!
Sounds so YUMMY! I am sad I didn't get to try it! I guess I could attempt making it...thanks for the recipe. :)
Post a Comment